1. In a medium sauce pan, melt butter and olive oil.
2. Add chopped garlic, shallots and mushrooms and sauté until transparent.
3. Stir in the Old Bay and allow spice to open.
4. Deglaze the pan with the dry Sherry and allow the alcohol to cook off.
5. Add heavy cream and bring to a rolling simmer. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
This soup can be thickened in one of two ways:
Reduction – continue to cook the soup at a rolling simmer until the desired thickness is achieved. Continue to step 8.
b. Rice puree – add 1 cup of rice puree and bring soup to a rolling simmer and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
Step 8: Right before serving, add the crab meat. Serve hot.