Family of Three Displaced After Fire - WSET.com - ABC13

Family of Three Displaced After Fire

Posted:

Reporter: Melinda Zosh

Madison Heights, VA - A family of three has been displaced after their house caught fire in Madison Heights. The fire happened around 7:30 p.m. Monday on Elon Road.

Amherst County fire officials found heavy fire at the back of the home. Officials say no one was home when the fire started. They were able to save the house, but it is condemned for now.

They say the fire started in one of the home's bedrooms, and officials say it appears an electrical issue sparked it.

"People need to be aware of overloading electrical circuits....overloading particularly small gauge house-hold extension cords, overloading those, which is so often times the cause of the fire and fire damage to structures and sometimes the loss of life," said Amherst Co. Public Safety Director Gary Roakes.

Roakes say the house sustained about $30,000 in damage. He says the family can move back in once the damages are repaired.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSET. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.