Martinsville Street Gets Water Line Fixed - - ABC13

Martinsville Street Gets Water Line Fixed


Reporter: Heather Rosenbaum | Videographer: RJ Burnette

Martinsville, VA -- A Martinsville residential street has been plagued with dozens of water line breaks over the past few years, forcing them to be without water for hours at a time.  But now, they city says they will finally see some relief.

Martinsville started a more than $100,000 water line project Wednesday, covered by a Health Department grant. And it couldn't come soon enough because the most recent break was just Tuesday night!  

Residents along Lanier Road in Martinsville can't even count how many times their water lines have broken.

"We know it's been at least 30. A dozen in the past year," said Tom Joyce, who's lived in his house since 1999.

"Since October we've had 10 or 12. It's a lot," said Treva Clardy, who's lived in her house since 1979.

"I told the city council that we live in the third world section of Martinsville," said Ray and Nancy Dietz, who've lived in their house since 1966.

Martinsville City Engineer Chris Morris confirms there have been more than two dozen breaks in the past several years.

"It's very frustrating. When the water line breaks they are out of water for two to three hours at a time. But once the water is reconnected and service is established, they have a lot of muddy water," said Morris.

"You turn on the spigot and nothing comes out. So you pick up the phone and call the city and they say 'oh no, not again,'" said The Dietzs'.

While breaks quickly lead to repairs, the Dietzs' have been forced to make their own preparations.

"A 5 gallon jug of water that we keep on hand. So we have at least 5 gallons when the water goes out," said The Dietzs'.

They bought a $1,200 filtration system, but now the city has broken ground on a more permanent solution.

"We hope that the entire project will resolve all of their issues," said Morris.

Something neighbors have been waiting a long time to hear.

"This nonsense is going to come to an end!" said the Dietz.

The city says the project should take 6 to 8 weeks, but then the problem should be gone for good.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSET. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.