Candles Start Roanoke House Fire - WSET.com - ABC13

Candles Start Roanoke House Fire

Posted:

Roanoke, VA - Roanoke Fire-EMS responded to a structure fire at 320 Cherryhill Rd. The call was received in the E-911 Center at approximately 5:00 p.m. Monday.

When crews arrived they found a fire in the basement of the house. There were concerns that children were trapped inside. Firefighters searched the home and found no one in the residence.

There were 3 people home when the fire started. They escaped without injury. One firefighter was treated for heat exhaustion after battling the blaze in 95 degree heat! He is recovering.

The house did not have power and the residents were using candles in the basement. They left a candle lit and went upstairs. The candle ignited nearby combustibles. The house sustained fire and smoke damage. 2 adults and 4 children were displaced. They are being assisted by the American Red Cross. Damage estimates are approximately $50,000.

During this power outage, residents are advised against using candles. Instead use flashlights or flameless candles. If you must use candles, never leave them unattended and blow them out before you go to sleep. Also, please check your smoke detector batteries!

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSET. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.