• Generators should be used in well ventilated locations outside and away from all doors, windows and vent openings.
• Never use a generator in an attached garage, even with the door open.
• Place generators so that exhaust fumes cannot enter the home through windows, doors or other openings in the building.
• Make sure to install carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your home. Follow manufacturer's instructions for correct placement and mounting height.
• Turn off generators and let them cool down before refueling. Never refuel a generator while it is running.
• Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
• A grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
• Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill area.
• Never leave your grill unattended.
• When you are finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
• If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
• The weather is hot and dry and there are lots of dry leaves, twigs, and branches on the ground that could catch fire should they come into contact with sparks from fireworks.
• Leave fireworks to the professionals.
• The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals. Consider attending the Vinton fireworks show.
• After the firework display, children should never pick up fireworks that may be left over—they may still be active or hot.