Pastor's House Destroyed But Valuable Saved - WSET.com - ABC13

Pastor's House Destroyed But Valuable Saved

Posted:

Reporter: Heather Rosenbaum | Videographer: RJ Burnette

Spencer, VA -- A house fire has helped restore faith, as a pastor's home was destroyed but something very valuable was saved. 

Emergency crews were called around 2 p.m. Monday to Old Well Road in Spencer. The destruction was heavy to Pastor Paul Hooker's home. In fact, fire officials say they were down on manpower, the temperatures were high, and a water source was far. But it didn't stop them from recovering the Pastor's life's work.

A man who preaches in a house of the Lord came home to this.

"It was awful, I just cried. It was awful," said Nadine Hendricks, a neighbor.

Neighbors say Pastor Paul Hooker lived here with his wife, two children and dog.

"They will do anything for you that they can do. We proud to have him as our Pastor," said Stella Turner, a member of congregation.

"When he was told it was his house and he basically lost everything he just took off running. It was awful," said Hendricks.

Deputy Director Rodney Howell suspects an electrical fire in the garage spread and within minutes turned into a nightmare taking over the entire house. While no one but the dog was home, all of his possessions were inside.

"He was concerned about his sermons, 25 years of work," said Howell.

Firefighters managed to save his most valuable possession.

"The firefighters are very dedicated and they did everything they could humanly do," said Howell. "That's the one thing that was saved was his sermons and the bibles."

"He'll be glad about that because he loved the lord and he really preached the truth," said Turner.

Members of his congregation say the items that survived will help him through the devastation.

"I think in the future this will be a blessing. I believe it will turn into a mighty blessing for Brother Paul," said Turner.

While none of the family members were hurt in the fire, including the dog, one firefighter was taken to the hospital for heat. They say his injuries were non-life threatening.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSET. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.