Getting Money Back from Storm Damage - - ABC13

Getting Money Back from Storm Damage


Richmond, VA - When you get power back, you're probably thinking first about getting back to normal.

But you should be thinking about what you can recover. Virginia's Insurance Commissioner is advising people to contact their insurance company sooner rather than later.

Your insurance company can determine what you can file a claim for. Take pictures of any damaged property you have and save your receipts for any repair costs.

Here is some more information from the Virginia Insurance Commission:

The Bureau's Property and Casualty Division stands ready to assist Virginians with any questions they may have regarding damage to their property as a result of the recent storms. Virginia policyholders who have questions about their homeowners, mobile home, automobile or business policies or an insurer's handling of their claim are encouraged to call the Bureau through its toll-free telephone number - 1-877-310-6560 - or in Richmond at (804) 371-9185. The Bureau's specially trained staff can help consumers with their insurance questions and concerns and can offer tips to help consumers expedite the processing of claims with their insurance company. The Bureau also may be contacted electronically at The Bureau's fax number is (804) 371-9349. Consumer complaints may be filed electronically through the Bureau's website at Consumers who are hearing or speech impaired may call the SCC's Telecommunications Device for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (TDD) at (804) 371-9206.

Correspondence may be mailed to the Bureau at P. O. Box 1157, Richmond, Virginia 23218. The SCC is located at 1300 East Main Street in downtown Richmond. Normal business hours are from 8:15 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSET. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.