Amherst, VA - Public safety officials in Amherst County say candles may have sparked a house fire that destroyed a home over the weekend.
Fire crews were called to a home on Monocan Park Road around 3:45 a.m. Saturday. When they arrived, the home was completely engulfed in flames.
Officials say this is the county's only house fire that could be related to last Friday's storm. But, they say another danger is looming.
While crews from Tampa worked to restore power on Kenmore Road, AEP pushed back its deadline. An AEP spokesperson says they hope to have fewer than 1,000 customers out of service by Monday, and everyone else restored by the end of Tuesday. AEP says storms have slowed down crews' progress.
While power is back on on Monacan Park Road, one woman doesn't have much left to come home to.
The Public Safety Director says she may have left a candle burning.
"There was no power to the house, there was no generator backed up to the house, the homeowner was not home at the time of the fire itself," said Gary Roakes.
It's the only structure fire since the storm struck last Friday.
But as power's restored, live wires pose another danger. Over the weekend, officials say a damaged power line sparked three or four brush fires in a wooded area of Amherst County.
"If anyone sees a down line, always treat it as live wire," added Roakes.