Mommy Monday: Bee Sting Allergies - WSET.com - ABC13

Mommy Monday: Bee Sting Allergies

Posted:

Reporter:  Danner Evans l Videographer:  Levi Washburn

Lynchburg, VA - Bee stings are just a part of summer time.  However, for the 2 million people in the U.S. who are allergic, it can be not only painful, but deadly.

Ashlynn Mispel, 5, just had a run in with a hostile bug.

"I got a sting from a bumble bee," Mispel said.

Since she is allergic to peanuts, her parents were worried she might have a severe reaction to the sting -- so they called her allergist Dr. Joseph Lane.

"If you are allergic to something it makes you more likely to be allergic to other things," Lane explained. "Many people actually die from insect sting allergies so it's very appropriate not to just brush that off and be concerned."

Mispel just had some swelling and pain, a typical reaction to a bee sting. But Lane said if your child has difficulty breathing, coughing, wheezing, hives or feels like he is going to pass out then you need to see a doctor.

"Good rule of thumb is symptoms distant from the sting site would be worrisome, but local redness and swelling can be uncomfortable but not life threatening," Lane said.

Treating the regular old sting is pretty easy.

"The best treatment for that are local conservative measures -- ice, a steroid cream like hydrocortisone, maybe an extra antihistamine."

Even though Mispel isn't allergic to bee stings, she still learned a lesson.

"Be careful," Mispel said.

One thing to keep in mind if your child gets stung; Don't pull out the stinger.  Lane says it actually releases more venom if you do.

There are also tests available through allergiests to help you figure out if your child has this allergy without finding out the hard way.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSET. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.