Phenix Family Recovering from Massive House Fire - - ABC13

Phenix Family Recovering from Massive House Fire


Charlotte Co., VA- A Phenix family is coping with some heavy losses after a fire ravaged their home Tuesday night.

The fire started at around 9:30, and within 30 minutes, had consumed the Brown family's entire home. It destroyed nearly everything, leaving their house hollow.

Sheila Brown was alone when the fire started. She woke up to the sound of the smoke detector alarm. She jumped into action and did everything she could to save her family's home, but the fire was just too big.

"It was pretty scary. I've never been through anything like that before," said Sheila.

Sheila was determined to save her home. Inside she tried dousing the flames with water. Outside she grabbed a hose and tried taming the fire spouting from the roof. But it was no use.

"When I first walked in the driveway and seen it I think I just broke down. Cause it hurt. It hurts," said Rebecca Brown.

When Devin arrived he found his mom--shaken and in tears.

"She was sitting in the van crying, just trying to face away from it. She was trying not to look at it," said Devin.

He didn't know what to do.

"I was, I was terrified. I didn't know what was going on. I couldn't find my dogs. And that was one of the things I was most worried about was my dogs," said Devin.

The Browns have three dogs. One didn't make it out of the house.

"A little Pomeranian. His name was Fluffy. Very cute dog," said Rebecca.

He was a graduation gift for Rebecca.

"There wasn't anything I could do so it's kind of hard," said Rebecca.

All the Browns could do was watch the flames ruin their home of ten years. The only things they managed to save were a couple charred pictures, and this trunk...full of childhood memories.

"We did get their childhood pictures, which was a blessing," said Sheila.

Despite all their losses, the Browns are staying strong.

"We'll make it one way or another you know, you always do. Put one foot in front of the other," said Maurice Brown.

"Got to take it day by day I guess. It's all we can do," said Sheila.

The Browns say investigators think an air conditioning unit caused the fire. The family met with a Red Cross official Wednesday night to go over housing and meal plans for the next several days.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSET. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.