Mobile Home Fire Leaves Family Homeless in Thaxton - WSET.com - ABC13

Mobile Home Fire Leaves Family Homeless in Thaxton

Posted:

Thaxton, VA - An unattended candle may be to blame for a fire that left a family in Thaxton homeless.

The blaze started around 3:45 p.m. Tuesday on Shady Circle.

The family of three made it out ok. The Red Cross is helping them with a place to stay for the next two days.

But getting back into their mobile home will take much longer.

The mobile home sustained major smoke, heat and water damage. Fire investigators say the blaze started in the kitchen then spread. The family told investigators they left a candle burning that started it.

But this family had two things going for them: the closest volunteer fire department is a few blocks from their home. And all of their windows and doors were closed, keeping the fire from spreading.

"The house was well sealed up so that kept the fire from spreading rapidly until we gained entry into it," said Chief Scott Hawkins with the Montvale Vol. Fire Department.

Fire officials say this should be a reminder to keep an eye on burning candles.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSET. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.