Roanoke, VA – Officials are warning against a group of men that police say stole from an elderly couple in Roanoke.
The Roanoke Police Department says Monday, two men knocked on the door of a couple living on Buena Vista Boulevard. One of the men identified himself as "Bobby Ferguson" and said he delivered papers with his son, the other man who was with him. The two men walked inside the home and spoke with the couple before leaving.
The 78-year-old husband said he noticed a third man waiting in the driver's seat of a white Ford minivan in which they three men left. Later, the husband realized money and jewelry were missing from the home.
Officials are investigating the incident, and ask that you call the Roanoke Police Department at (540) 853-5959 or Crime Line at (540) 344-8500 if you have any information.
The Roanoke Police Department is offering the following crime prevention tips:
• Do not let anyone you do not know into your home.
• If someone comes to your door and you feel your safety is being threatened or if you notice suspicious activity in your neighborhood call 911 immediately.
• Do not give money to anyone who comes to your door offering to make repairs to your home or trying to collect money for work they claim they performed in the past.
• Do not feel pressured to make a decision immediately if someone comes to your door offering to make repairs to your home.
• Talk to a loved one or trusted friend before making any decisions to have repairs made to your home.
• Citizens are encouraged to check on their elderly neighbors.