By: Chef Emerald Coleman
1. Melt 1/2 stick butter in a 3 quart sauce pan or soup pot over med-high heat.
2. Add onion, carrot, and celery to pan and sweat vegetables until slightly softened and onions are translucent. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Add chicken stock and raise heat to high. Bring to a boil and add potatoes.
4. Reduce heat to provide a steady but slow simmer. Re-season with salt and pepper.
5. When potatoes reach desired softness (check by inserting a fork in a large cube of potato), add cream.
6. Return to a simmer. Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.
7. Serve in bowls and add a slice of butter to the top of each bowl of soup.