Fire Destroys Family's Bedford Co. Home - WSET.com - ABC13

Fire Destroys Family's Bedford Co. Home

Posted:

Bedford Co., VA – A family of five is staying in a hotel over Christmas, after a fire destroys its Hardy home. The fire broke out on Windridge Court just before 11p.m. Saturday.

A 10-year-old girl was inside with her grandmother, who was in a wheelchair and on oxygen. The girl ran to a neighbor's house. The neighbor called 911 and helped get the grandmother out safely. The girl's mother, father, and 13-year-old sister were not home at the time of the fire.

"Thankfully my wife, my mother-in-law and my kids, we all wasn't in there sleeping when it happened," said Paul Wertz, who lived in the home.

"I'm very thankful for that," said April Wertz, Paul's wife.  "Because if anything would have happened to them, it'd pretty much be the end of my world."

The Red Cross is putting the family up in a hotel until Thursday. The family has renters insurance that should cover some of what was lost.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSET. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.