Richmond, VA – Gov. Bob McDonnell announced a new phone app that can help Virginians be ready for natural disasters and emergencies.
The "Ready Virginia" app will help people prepare and also stay informed during emergencies.
• Location-specific weather watches and warnings as well as flood information issued by the National Weather Service
• Disaster news from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management
• Maps with open American Red Cross shelters, hurricane evacuation routes, hurricane storm surge zones and stream gauges
• A template for creating a customized family emergency plan that can be easily shared
• Local emergency manager contact information
• Links to register for local emergency alerts
In addition to the mobile app, the Virginia Department of Emergency Management launched a mobile version of its website. The mobile site contains all the information available on VDEM's regular website, but with easier navigation for those who use smart phones and tablets to access websites.