Couple Credits Alarm Clock for Saving Them From Pittsylvania Co. - WSET.com - ABC13

Couple Credits Alarm Clock for Saving Them From Pittsylvania Co. Fire

Posted:

Pittsylvania Co., VA -  A Pittsylvania County couple is crediting their alarm clock with saving their lives from a devastating fire.

Emergency crews got a call just before 5 a.m. Thursday about a fire on Ferry Road.

Four fire stations responded, and crews say it took only about 20 minutes to put out a fire but the entire home is ruined. Now, the couple who lost their home is just happy to be safe and thanking their alarm clock for being so reliable.

"I would have never thought that was going to happen, never," said Lisa Folino, who lost her home in the fire.

On any normal day for Folino, her alarm clock wakes her up early at 4:45 a.m. But this time, the alarm did more than just get her up for work, she believes it saved her life.

"I went out into the kitchen to go start the coffee pot like I normally do, every morning. And I noticed our kitchen was chuck full of smoke," said Folino.

Immediately, she woke her boyfriend.

"She said the house was full of smoke so I jumped up out of bed," said Ron Rose, Folino's boyfriend.

"Everything was going through my head, trying to get it out to put the fire out and look for water and everything," said Folino.

Within seconds that smoke, coming from behind their refrigerator turned into flames.

"The flames got bigger when it got up bigger when it was heading to the roof and that's when my boyfriend turned around and told me to vacate," said Folino.

From just feet away, the couple watched a fire they will never forget.

"Sad. I'm hurt. I don't know what we are going to do. I don't know," said Folino.

Still, they have many thanks now to the Lord and to that alarm clock for making sure they woke up just in time.

"If that alarm clock didn't go off at 4:45 in the morning, me and her probably would have been hurt because it went up really quick," said Rose.

Fire officials say initial investigations lead them to believe it was an electrical fire. Meanwhile, the couple is being helped by the Red Cross. They plan to keep the alarm clock as one final memory of their home.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSET. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.