Update: 8:20 a.m.
(AP) - Police commissioner: Boston residents urged to stay in homes as hunt for bomb suspect goes on.
Update: 7:30 a.m.
(AP) - A law enforcement intelligence bulletin obtained by the AP identified the surviving bomb suspect as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, Mass.
(ABC NEWS) Boston, MA - One suspect in this week's deadly Boston Marathon bombing was killed after a police shootout, and a second suspect remains at large and the subject of a manhunt, police said early this morning.
The man the FBI identified Thursday as Suspect 2 in photos related to the marathon bombing investigation is on the loose and is armed and dangerous, police said. He is the target of an "active search by tactical teams."
"We believe this is a terrorist, we believe this is a man that's come here to kill people," Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said in a brief news conference this morning.
The first suspect was killed after exchanging gunfire with police officers, during which multiple explosive devices were detonated, police said. Officials at Beth Israel Hospital reported they received one patient who later died, but would not confirm it was the first suspect. That patient came in under guard and had suffered blast, shrapnel and so many gunshot wounds that caregivers were "unable to count."
Federal law enforcement sources told ABC News the suspects had been in the U.S. two years or longer and, because of the skill with which they engaged police, likely had para-military training.
One police officer was also injured and is in critical condition at a local hospital. Authorities said the suspects, who have not been identified, were also responsible for the death of an MIT police officer Thursday night.