UPDATE: Cause of Bedford Co. Fire Near Huddleston Determined to - WSET.com - ABC13

UPDATE: Cause of Bedford Co. Fire Near Huddleston Determined to be Electrical

Posted:

UPDATE: 5:33 p.m.

Bedford Co., VA - A family of six can't go home Monday night after a fire nearly destroyed their house in Bedford County.

The fire broke out around 10:30 a.m. Monday on Headens Bridge Road near the intersection of Shingle Block Road, close to Huddleston.

Jeff Pauley, the deputy fire marshal, says the fire was electrical, starting with either the washing machine or the receptical it was plugged into.

ABC 13 spoke with Elaine Nichols, who owns the home with her husband. She thinks the dryer may be to blame.

Fortunately no one was home when the fire started.

Multiple crews from fire stations all over Bedford County responded, pumping water into the house.

The damage was primarily to the roof and backside of the two-story home.

The home is a wood frame, vinyl sided house, built in the 1990s, according to county real estate records.

Nichols says she was allowed inside, but she doesn't think there's anything that can be salvaged. She says the home is insured.

In addition to Nichols and her husband, the couple's 19-year-old daughter and her 2-year-old son also live in the home, along with the Nichols' 17-year-old son and other daughter, who is 15.

Nichols says the Red Cross is putting them up in a hotel for three nights.

------------------

Bedford Co., VA – Multiple fire companies are on the scene of a house fire near Huddleston.

The fire is on Headens Bridge Road.

The assistant fire marshal tells ABC 13 that no one was home at the time of the fire.

Stay with ABC 13 News for further details.

Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WSET. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.