Liberty rebounded with a win at Gardner-Webb. Now the Flames return to Lynchburg for three straight home games starting with VMI Saturday at 3:30 p.m.
NOTES FROM TUESDAY'S NEWS CONFERENCE WITH HEAD COACH TURNER GILL AND SELECTED PLAYERS
- Based on comments made by VMI coach Sparky Woods it appears QB Eric Kordenbrock will not be able to play because of an injury. Backup A.J. Augustine would start in his place. Augustine runs more than Kordenbrock and coach Gill had nothing but praise for Augustine. "I think he played in the second half against Presbyterian and he played the whole ball game against Coastal. I see him as a very competitive person watching him on tape. He will take off running. I've seen him run over people. I've seen him be able to make the throws that he needs to make, deep ball throws, intermediate passes, dumping the ball off to the backs to he is a very good football player," he said.
- Gill said one of the keys to the game will be to see if his team can put together back to back strong performances. LU shutout G-Webb 24-0. "In 2013 to shut out a team is very hard to do," Gill said.
- Gill said that his two coordinators (OC Aaron Stamn and DC Robert Wimberly have really grown into their roles and as a result the players are responding with confidence. "That's the key," Gill said.
- Based on the fact that VMI is leaving the Big South for the Southern Conference following this season it's unlikely LU and VMI will play each other in the regular season in the foreseeable future.
- Gill has been pleased with the improved running attack the Flames have gotten in recent weeks but against G-Webb they averaged a little less than 3.5 yards a carry. "We want to be in the 4.5 [range]. That's kind of our goal. You always want to be 4.0 or better," Gill said.
- For those that don't think LU has any chance to make the postseason, the odds would be with you but there is still a slim chance. Number 1 – LU would have to win out. Number 2 – their chances would increase if Coastal loses a game, if Charleston Southern beats Coastal. Number 3 – based on what athletic director Jeff Barber told the team there's a slight chance LU could get in as an at-large team. QB Josh Woodrum said, "Jeff Barber went up to a convention with the FCS commission and he told us that while he was up there some of the guys were talking about how the Big South was doing pretty good nationally and if they get two teams that are worth putting into the playoffs coming out that they're going to take two, not just one usually so that just gave us some hope more than anything. That's all we really wanted was some hope."
- LU's remaining schedule: vs. VMI, vs. Presbyterian, vs. Brevard, at CSU
- Gill said D.J. Abnar is good to go but Aldreakis Allen and Francis Bah are once again OUT for the VMI game
- Gill was pleased with the fact that LU scored a touchdown in the 4th quarter against G-Webb. Woodrum said if they would have been able to score a TD in the 4th quarter against Coastal instead of a field goal LU would have won the game against the Chanticleers.