Pittsylvania Co., VA -- A Chatham family says their Christmas is ruined after their house was destroyed in a fire Monday night.
Emergency crews got the call around 6 last night to Ridge Street to find a house engulfed in flames. Just two days before Christmas this family of five lost everything. They say this holiday season will be one to remember for all the wrong reasons.
Antonio Saunders hoped to be looking at their presents on Christmas Eve wrapped under a tree, instead, they now litter their porch, burned and destroyed.
"Everything is gone," said Saunders.
For Saunders, his girlfriend, and their three teenagers, this holiday turned into a horror story.
"It's all about the kids. Their Christmas just was ruined just as well as mine," said Saunders.
Just two days before Christmas, the family visited nearby relatives. That's when Saunders got the call that their house caught fire.
"There was flames on the top of the roof, right here on the side of it. It was just smoking. We couldn't get down here because it was still lit up," said Saunders.
Saunders says they moved in just a few months ago. They had no insurance, nothing's salvageable.
"This right here makes me feel like it is the end of the world for me," said Saunders.
The Red Cross will assist them with 6 nights at a motel, not exactly where they wished to spend Christmas morning.
"It's disappointing," said Saunders.
But the damage is only so deep and the loss is only limited to things.
"I'm just glad we weren't in there because the way it looks, we would have never made it," said Saunders.
They have made arrangements to stay with family members after they leave the motel.
If you want to help them, you can reach Saunders at (434)713-5208.