Radford, VA - The Radford Fire Department responded to a call for a house fire on Rock Road just after 10:00 Wednesday morning. The home's owner, a WW ll Veteran, was in the basement when the fire started. When he came upstairs he noticed smoke and called the fire department. The fire was accidental and the cause was electrical. Officials estimate the loss to be about $1300.
The Radford Fire Department had water on the fire within two minutes of the alarm and firefighters were on scene for just over two hours.
Crews faced severe temperatures as they battled the blaze. It was nine degrees when they arrived and it was 13 degrees when the scene was cleared.
The Radford Fire Department had help from Fairlawn Volunteer Fire Department who brought one engine and ten firefighters.
Radford Fire Department responded with three engines and fifteen firefighters.
Chief Lee Simpkins said, "Thank you to all involved, including Radford Fire Department, Radford Police Department, Emergency Medical Services, the Electric Department, Public Works, and the Fairlawn Volunteer Fire Department, for a great job during such adverse conditions."