Empanadas de la Manzana
By: Chef Emerald Coleman
1. Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, paking woder and pinch of salt together. Cut in lard with pastry cutter or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Whisk egg and add 3/4 cup water. Add flour mixture and knead until dough forms. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Lightly flour a surface and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into circles.
1. Bring 1 cup water to a simmer in pan. Add in apples and cinnamon and simmer until apples are tender.
2. In a small saucepan, mix together sugar, lemon juice and 1/8 cup water. Begin to warm over low heat, stirring constantly. When the sugar is a dark gold color, remove from heat and stir in apples and softened raisins.
Place 1 tbsp (or more) in the center of the dough circle. Fold dough over to maked a filled half-circle. Use a fork to press the edges together. Refrigerate uncooked empanadas for 3 hours. Fry in 350-degree oil for 6 to 7 minutes or until golden brown.