By: Chef Emerald Coleman
1. Rinse uncooked beans and add to large pan of cold water.
2. Add onion, jalapeno, salt, and garlic powder.
3. Cook covered on low until beans are ready.
4. Once beans are ready, heat a large frying pan with the oil. When the oil is hot, reduce the heat to low and add the chile arbol peppers, frying them until the oil tints a light red color.
5. Remove peppers from oil and add beans to the hot oil.
6. Fry for approximately 3 to 4 minutes until you can mash them easily. As you mash them, add water from the bean pan until you have a refried bean consistency (like in restaurants).